The city of San Leandro, which is on the unceded land of the Ohlone people, was incorporated in 1872 after becoming a popular spot for squatters from all over the world looking for gold. It served as the county seat from 1855 to 1873 before the county seat was transferred to Oakland.
The San Leandro City Council is made up of a mayor and six councilmembers serving their respective districts for staggered four-year terms. The current council is made up of Mayor Juan Gonzalez III, 1st District Councilmember Celina Reynes, 2nd District Councilmember Bryan Azevedo, 3rd District Councilmember Victor Aguilar Jr., 4th District Councilmember Fred Simon, 5th District Councilmember Xouhoa Bowen and 6th District Councilmember Pete Ballew.
The council meets the first and third Mondays of every month at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall at 835 East 14th Street.